Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these? Type of Spring Flower.

Posted by hostalover360 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 17:40

Ok, I have a unknown plant I would like to find out what it is. I do know it is a type of Spring Flower. The leaves look like a Crocus to be, There is a small white stripe on the leaves BUT Crocus have 4 or 5 leaves, These have many small leaves per bulb. and the Bulbs don't look like Crocus corms, These are kinda longish it nature, more Regtangle. the rounded. When I look in the middle of the bulb there is a bloom stalk in the middle, They look as though the flowers will be tiny. These bulbs look like they were planted there for many years. Please help me find out what kind of bulbs they are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these? Type of Spring Flower.

I'm not sure, but the leaves having a mid-vein sounds like Star of Bethlehem, Ornithogalum umbellatum. The bulb on this would look like a little onion. You'll know better when it blooms. If it is Star of Bethlehem, it can be very weedy, just so you know. Maybe you can try googling an image..?

o
RE: What are these? Type of Spring Flower.

It does sound like it could be Star of B, although I don't remember them having a large number of leaves per bulb. If it has white starlike blooms, it is Star of Bethlehem. Cheleinri isn't kidding saying it is very weedy. In zone 6 these can make huge clumps in a short period of time, & I understand they can spread by seeds as well. I think zone 4 is pushing the edge of their range though, so you may not have as much trouble from them.

o
leaves..

Mine do have a bunch of leaves per bulb. When I bought this house I was so excited at all the crocus that came up in the spring..talk about disappointing! :P I just got finished pulling them from the back bed this weekend. I don't know what to do about all the ones in the lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here