Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
camassia - how to divide

Posted by gailwrite 6KY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 17:46

My blue camassia (Indian Hyancith) has been blooming 10 years, but it is getting shorter and I think I need to divide it. HOW? WHEN? It is not practical for me to wait until fall and dig up the bulbs because they are mixed in with tulips and jonquils. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: camassia - how to divide

According to my 'Women's Home Companion Gardening Book' (1947) - you need to raise seeds. (The more recent recommendations agree because they say that the bulbs would rather get bigger than produce offsets. Haven't unearthed mine for about four years now so I can't say for sure.)

As well as - do you add compost to the area every year or so? They like a well-fed and free-draining soil. See what adding a pail of compost around them does.

Sometimes it can take several months for the benefits to show. Added now you may be able to improve water retention over the summer - which could be useful if your area has experienced a series of dry summers.

o
RE: camassia - how to divide

Vetivert's information squares with what I have read too. It is my understanding that the bulbs may get larger, but do not offset.

They like constant moisture, as said above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here