Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnighttulip

Bowl Of Beauty...!

midnighttulip
14 years ago

Hi i just planted my Bowl of Beauty root today! i bought it yesterday from Target ! it was very cheap only 1 Dollar wow!

so i wanted to know when and how long it take for it to sprout!? i know that it won't bloom untill a few years but i just want to know when it will start to sprout so i know it is still a love!

Comments (4)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

Bowl of Beauty is one of my favorite peonies. A small root such as you bought I usually pot up in a one gallon nursery pot the first year. Mostly so I can see that it gets the TLC it needs to produce roots of enough size to plant in the garden in the fall. The pink buds you see at the top of the root should show some growth in a couple of weeks at spring temperatures in zone 9. Al

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

hhhhmmmmm......In doing some searching, every place that sells Bowl of Beauty shows it as different northern zones, but only up to zone 8 for the southern zones.

That is great Al that you can enjoy them in your zone 9. Hopefully they do well for Midnight also.

Midnight, were planting instructions included with the peony root? Were you careful to not plant it with the 'eyes any deeper than 1" to 2" below the surface? Maybe Al has something to add to the planting depth in your zone.

Here in my zone, a lot of mine are planted so shallowly, that they are actually up out of the soil a bit. They are quite established though and have a lot of woody root like matter above the soil.

Sue

• midnighttulip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks sue and al:]

i planted the root about 2 1/2 inches deep in a pot i did not plant itdirectly in the flower bed outside, the reason is because my dad has been watering the plants too much and i am affraid he might over water them and cause the bowl of beauty along with other bulbs to rot, although some bulbs did really great with my dad's over watering lol the rain lilies and the gladiuos :].

about how long will it take for the bowl of beauty to sprout, al? by the way how often should i water so far i have been watering them every 2 days just because i am afraid of over doing it, and ussually by day 2 the soil has drained up all the water so that's is when i re-water but lately it has been super hot today it was 96 degrees and yesterday was 91 it'll just get worse with this temperature is it ok to water daily now?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

It is really hot and with a dry wind here also. If you have proper potting soil in your pots, do not be concerned about over watering. I have hundreds of pots jammed together on a blacktop surface watered every other day with rainbird sprinklers. For this first year in the pot do not be concerned about planting depth. When you plant in the garden in the fall, after the rains have started, plant as Sue has suggested. You must be able to see next years buds through the winter. If they are under the soil they will receive enough insulation from the cold winter air temperature to prevent them from blooming next year. It may look strange to be able to see the top of the root, but when your stems grow next spring they will have buds and flowers instead of just leaves. My Bowl of Beauty roots were from Costco, three in a box, very small and did not start blooming until the third year. Al

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks