Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where should I get my bulbs?

Posted by LMA84 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 18:55

I am very new to gardening and want to start planting bulbs this fall. I have seen a lot of different types of bulbs at home depot and lowes. My question is, are these worth purchasing? Are there benefits from purchasing bulbs from a nursery or online?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where should I get my bulbs?

Buy whatever works for your budget. Bulbs at a Home depot or similar will probably be a decent quality and will bloom great, a nursery might have a better selection (or same) but you can probably get some good advice on what will do good for you and your area. Online you can find top quality and pretty much anything you might want...... but you can also get overpriced crap online..... in general if you're just starting out, pick up a few bags at the store or nursery and try them out.
Best varieties will depend on your zone and climate, so in the future that will help. Welcome!

o

The bulbs I have bought at Home Depot have been accurate. Wish I could say the same for their daylily packages.

For starters, find out your climate zone so you don't purchase bulbs that won't perform well.

The main benefit from purchasing online is variety. Big Box stores are limited in choices. A company I've been very happy with is Scheepers. They mail catalogs too.

(..."John Scheepers offers flower bulbs in smaller units with significant volume price discounts while Van Engelen offers the flower bulb collection in larger, wholesale units...")

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Bulbs

o

Thanks so much for the advice! I will check out those sites.

o

I've always liked John Scheepers for online orders, but really I've done all right with bulbs from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scheepers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here