Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prunning tulips or daffodils

Posted by seedseeker z5-6 CO USA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 18:55

I am in need of your always perfect advice...oh garden webbers!
Do you prune off spent tulips and daffodils?
Also, what about the foliage?
I want to do what is best for my new but Old garden. This new house has 500 daffodills and twice that many tulips.
It is beautiful but has my concern.
Thanks ever so much for your shared knowledge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prunning tulips or daffodils

Hi,

Both Tulips & Daffs will die back naturally, the foliage will turn yellow, then you can cut off the leaves. This provides energy for the bulb to flower well the next year. You should not tie the foliage back, it's not good for the bulbs. You can also fertilize the bulbs (you can buy bulb fertilizer) when they are done blooming. Enjoy your new home and flowers!

Jen

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 20:58

But.....do snip off the flowers when they fade....but leave the stems and leaves....just don't let them form a seed pod. About half of the flowers will try to form a seed pod, so you don't have to pull off every one just the ones that look a little swollen about a week after the flowers fade.
Linda C

o

Linda C.
Is this for both tulips and daffodills?
Thanks!
Ros

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 23:52

Yep.....and any other bulb or flower that blooms and forms a seed....iris, lily, day lily etc.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here