Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snow and freeze forecast--should I cover tulips?

Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 18:57

The buds are above ground although none are opening yet. The hyacinths and daffodils, anemones and chionodoxa are all in full bloom. I am more worried about the forecast of overnight temp in the 20's than possible snow. Can any of these blooms survive a freeze, or should I be cutting the blooms and covering the buds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snow and freeze forecast--should I cover tulips?

They will be fine. Tulips won't care. The daffodils might go limp until it warms again but that depends on how cold it gets. Cut a few daffs anyway, it's a shame to leave them all outside!

o

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 8:40

Thanks Kato_b, we did get about 1/2 - 1 inch of snow but the temps are just at freezing. Tomorrow night it is supposed to hit 20F. I did cover most of the daffs and hyacinths with sheets, and piled Christmas tree branches over the still emerging buds of tulips. The smaller flowers are on their own! (and yes, I did cut a bouquet!)

o

How did you make out with the cold? We went down to around 20F last night and today some of the hyacinths look a little droopy and have that glassy look. I hope they recover, but it hasn't really warmed up long enough to know for sure. Everything else looks ok except for some corydalis that I'm also hoping will recover.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:07

I went on a marathon of covering things yesterday, since I had just acquired a duffle bag of old sheets and had a lot of empty pots... I was worried about all the surviving tidbits of roses that were leafing out too ....uncovered everything today, and although yes, the daffs/hyacinths/chionodoxa are all droopy they look pretty intact. Even those I didn't cover. And the blossoms on the nanking cherry (which opened between the time I first posted and yesterday afternoon!) seemed to come through unharmed.

Not so the magnolia blossoms though. Yesterday beautiful, today just limp brown rags. So sad but happens every 3rd year at least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here