Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils: Prolific Lower Midwest Cultivars?

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 19:04

Don't know why but some cultivars of daffodils do better for me than others. I've noticed that "Mount Hood" is very, very stubborn. In fact, it didn't even bloom for me this year. I really, really like it, but it just doesn't do that well for some reason.

Any recommendations for some bi-colored daffodils that have a better chance of producing tons of bloom.

I love "Delibes".... And I prefer the stems that produce large single blooms.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils: Prolific Lower Midwest Cultivars?

Mount Hood 'should' bloom for you just fine, even if the bulbs don't increase a lot like something very prolific like Ice Follies.
I'd suggest you read through the many reason why daffodils don't bloom at the link below. If Mount Hood is a fairly large 'clump' of foliage, my guess is that they need lifted and divided, and replanted.
Last year, did you leave the foliage in place to wither' for about 6 weeks past it's normal bloom time?
The daffs, or plants around them weren't fed with high nitrogen fertilizer, were they, as that encourages production of leaves, but seems to quell the plant's need for flowers?

I'd assume that ones that are good for naturalizing, would be good candidates as far as being prolific and trouble free.

Taken from the ADS site Naturalizing Daffodils
"Some varieties which make beautiful drifts and last well are Ice Follies, Tete-a-Tete, Flower Record, Delibes, Unsurpassable, Barrett Browning, Scarlet Gem, Geranium, Cheerfulness, Peeping Tom, Mount Hood, Spellbinder, Carlton, and Viking. There are many others which will thrive with little care. "

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS-Daffodils Not Blooming?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here