Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tritonia?

Posted by idafrances 4 (emilydawn77@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 19:12

Hi there, here's another go at posting this message. I am home sick today and caught Martha Stewart. There was a man who has planted tritonia bulbs, and mentioned they were from South Africa. I'm having a hard time finding them online.

Anyone know where to find them? Can I plant them and treat them like dahlias (dig 'em up in the fall)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tritonia?

Try under Tritonia crocata. Definitely South African. Look for the corms in autumn - and plant them then. In your zone you'd need to put them in pots and give good light over the winter, moderate water and warmth, plus frost protection. The leaves shrug off -5C frosts that are gone by lunchtime.

They flower later than freesias and sparaxis - and have a similar wiry stem and flower system to theirs.

Good drainage is important - and they do well (too well:-( ) in silty/sandy soils in full sun.

They go dormant for summer and often leave dead brown leaves above ground similar to Babiana. You could probably lift them in high summer but know that they will be starting to leaf-n-root again in August-September, regardless of drought and heat.

If you can't find the corms you may be able to create a population through buying seed. Or ask on the California forum.

o

I haven't seen them for sale in a long time (central coast CA). I prefer them over Sparaxis.

Maybe this link is vertivert's? Both in NZ?

I think you'll have to get them thru a trade or an auction. Our nurseries have cut back severely in this economy. Or the growers cut back?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Outdoor-garden-conservatory/Plants-pots/Perennials/auction-280417501.htm

o

Not me! Balclutha is deep south and probably a zone 8. (Has hot summers, though).

Agree, iris gal; what's on offer under the recession is pretty much 'ordinary'.

idafrancis: see if anyone is offering seed over on the South African forum. Worth a go. If your state/country rules allow - you may be able to import if no one 'local' has them available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here