Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

Anyone grow narcissus Galactic Star?

coatfetish
11 years ago

I have hundreds, if not thousands of daffodils, however my Galactic Star only bloomed it's first spring, (last year) and I haven't seen it at all this year - no foliage even. I assume it's gone. I've emailed the source I bought it from to see if they've had any similar reports - I was going to order more last fall but it was listed as unavailable in their catalog. That worried me then, too. They sent a return email needing details, I'll share my answers here - maybe someone has experience with this narcissus?

My growing conditions for the bed this daff was in; 18 yr old raised bed that is 4' x 48' in size, amended with organic compost in the spring (not yet this spring), watered by hose by hand when weather required it (no drip system, etc.) and I rarely water after September/late fall. Full sun, mulched bed. Companion plants within a 6' radius include other narcissus, hemerocallis, tall bearded iris, shasta daisy, and rose campion.

I've never lost daffs before, so it's a mystery! No squirrels, moles, voles, chipmunks, etc. I'm in Z6. The pic is from last spring's bloom - I loved this one, such a shame!

Comments (7)