Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue grape hyacinths - what to do ?

Posted by sakura28 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 19:33

Hello -
I have a flower bed along the side of our house that is running rampant with blue grape hyacinths. I didn't plant them myself- they were here when we bought the house. I love them but, they are crowding out any other flowers that I try to plant there, and it's hard to work around the mass of foliage. My idea was to redo the whole flower bed because it is rather a chaotic mess of a little of this & a little of that here & there, and blue grape hyacinths everywhere, even spilling out from the bed onto the grass. I'd like to put all the bg hyacinths in one area, somewhere in the yard where it will compliment them better, but I'm stumped for ideas at the moment ...
So my question is, can I just dig them up now & store them until I get inspired ? Or do I have to wait until fall ? How do I store them ? My great-grandmother used to keep tulip bulbs in a paper bag in the basement. Is it the same way for bg hyacinths ? Should I leave the foliage on or cut it off ?
Thank you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue grape hyacinths - what to do ?

They will soon be going dormant for the summer. If you don't want to kill them out (deep, deep mulch will smother them), I would leave them alone and then plan to carefully dig and relocate or thin them come fall when their foliage emerges again. I have moved them this way, and when there are so many, so what if you lose a few along the way?

o

My idea was to redo the whole flower bed because it is rather a chaotic mess of a little of this & a little of that here & there, and blue grape hyacinths everywhere,
If you are really wanting to start on the bed, and get them out of there (which I can understand perfectly) I think it would be fine to dig them and let them dry a few days (in the shade but where they will get some good air movement) with the foliage attached. Once the foliage has withered, then store them in a cool dry place...like a basement.
Any that you happen to miss, you can then dig out in the fall hopefully without disturbing your other newly planted goodies.

There will probably be thousands of GH bulbs of various sizes. I'd just plant the biggest ones. They 'may' sulk next season by being dug at this time of the year, but should survive just fine and reward your efforts in years to come.... imho.

Sue

o

Thank you for the information ... I will probably do a little at a time and move some, store some, move some, store some ... I have lots of grand ideas but never enough time to get it done very quickly !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here