Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chromacolor daffodil sport... gorgeous!

Posted by ladychroe z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 19:52

I planted these Chromacolor daffodils in fall '07, I think. They came up nicely last spring. This year, I found this amazing split-cup variation. Will this happen next year? Do I have a new variety of daffodil on my hands?

Normal Chromacolor (very large and beautiful):

New ruffled, half-double Chromacolor:

Oh, and one of the other Chromacolors has some lovely subtle extra thingies within the cup:

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chromacolor daffodil sport... gorgeous!

Beautiful!

o

Kind of a funny lookin' little guy isn't it!! I guess the only way to find out if it is stable is to wait until next year :o) Dan

o

Lovely!!! Love the Eye Candy!!!

o

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm..............What I find is especially strange that 2 of the blooms were not 'normal'. That sort of leads me to believe that something happened to cause the blooms to be distorted.

Is there any possibility that the foliage was hit by some sort of a weed killer last year as it was dying back, before it totally disappeared?...Like Round-up, or Weed and Feed (2-4D)or something similar? I have seen plants that got 'some killer' spray or granules on them do strange things, like distorted branches.

Do you remember where you got them from in 2007? If so, you might try writing them and sending pics. Another thing that is 'possible' is that it is from a seedling...where a daff made seeds, dropped, and finally after several years became bulb size. That is rather unlikely though. Daffs which are hybrids will not grow true from seed.

Please keep us posted on whatever you might be able to find out....and how it blooms next season.

Sue

o

I don't think that they got hit with any weed killer. I guess with a DH like mine, it's possible... but not probable. Perhaps this kind of daffodil is not stable and has occasional variations?

I purchased them from Brent and Becky's. All came up normally last year.

I am pretty sure it's not a seedling, since it was right in the middle of the Chromacolor patch and it's identical to the others as far as height and color is concerned.

I will definitely post on how it does next year. I find it very beautiful and special and I hope that it is stable!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here