Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

When should anemone blanda appear?

I planted about 50 Anemone blanda Pink Star last fall. Plus some other anemone blanda, mixed shades. When should these be showing up? I'm Zone 5, Chicago. Do they appear foliage first or bloom first? I thought they were an early spring bloomer, but maybe I'm wrong. When they arrived from Scheepers they were such shrivelled little things. The ones I bought in the store were equally shrivelled. Following instructions I did soak them before planting.

Comments (20)

• shadeyplace
    16 years ago

You will see the foliage first...usually here it is blooming mid April. Where you are probably late April. This winter has been so strange however it may screw things up a bit.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

I can let you know when mine show up. I went with the Sam's club box and they were equally shriveled -I soaked them overnight too.

If you ever saw a winter aconite come up, anemones do the same thing. I can't remember if they flowered around lilac time or later.... it's been a while.

• geoforce
    16 years ago

Here in a cold 7, or warm 6, they had foliage by 3/15, and have been blooming for a week or so.

George

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kato_b, do let me know, since you are in the same zone! There is not a sign of them. Funny, they were ordered as part of a 1/2 price credit from Van Engelen; to replace some lilies and tulips from the previous year that never grew. I have not seen winter aconites.

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

I was worried about mine until I saw one suddenly budding. I completely missed the foliage because it blended in with the dirt. Now that I know what to look for, I can see that they are all putting out tiny brownish leaves. I did not soak them before planting.

They started about a week ago.

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

they are very short plants. but mine are in bloom now-- started just at the beginning of april--which is about the normal time they bloom-- depends on how warm it gets. but my plants are never taller than 2 inches-- leaves get a bit taller after they bloom (maybe 4 inches). I'm in akron ohio area/zone 5
    diggerb

Original Author
    16 years ago

There is still no sign of them!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

I've got nothing yet either.
    Of course things may be going on under the !#@^$ snow that I don't know about, so maybe when the snow melts there will be dozens of anemones rising up for the sun and warmth.... or maybe there will just be mud.
    I'm sure there are still a few on their way. I can't imagine that every single one didn't make it. hmmmmmm

• leslie197
    16 years ago

Mine are in bloom now. They started blooming just a few days ago. This is an old established patch. New ones may be slower. I certainly wouldn't lose hope. Mine showed no signs and then they were in bloom with very little foliage appearing yet. The foliage always gets lusher after bloom, but there is usually a lot more green than this time.

It has been a weird spring so far as bulbs are concerned around my yard, following, of course, a weird winter. I had one small patch of chionodoxa in the middle of a bed on the west side of the yard bloom nearly a month ago when the iris reticulata were still in bloom. The rest of the chionodoxa (filling a 2 ft by 10 ft area) in that same bed is in full bloom right now weeks later. But the chionodoxa on the south side of the house hasn't show any signs at all and the Ipheons are also still sleeping in that bed. They all bloomed together last season.

• pasprout
    16 years ago

I'm in PA, and my anemones just started to come up from the ground within the last 2 days. It's been an unusual winter- they are usually out before now.

• jackied164 z6 MA
    16 years ago

Some of my 2nd years are flowering now, some of what I planted last fall are just starting to break the surface. Typically 1st year "bulbs" are late compared to those established. It is the more generic "windflower" that are blomming now. Both my older (3 year) and new last fall Mr Fokker are just barely breaking the surface with their foliage. This one seems later.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

*sigh*
    Mine are still not up. I may need to start poking around soon.
    But I'm still slightly optimistic, the crocus I planted last fall are only now starting to come up. I had some of the first crocus blooms yesterday.

Heh heh. I wonder what I should plant there if the anemones don't show?

--by the way linnea, my persicaria polymorpha has also not shown any signs of life.

• tonya499
    16 years ago

Oh no! I just planted my anemone bulbs today. Am I too late? It snowed here a couple of weekends ago so I thought I'd wait 2 weeks and plant some bulbs. They were part of a package from HD. I soaked them overnite because they looked so shrivelled up.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

It's official, I'm giving up on the anemones. Out of I think 120 bulbs one small plant came up..... it even put out a tiny flower!
    I wonder what went wrong? Probably the late planting, maybe too long of a soak. I'll never know for sure.
    Oh well, at least the late planted tulips and daffs came up nice!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, mine were a bust too. Mine were from 2 different companies, planted in two different locations. In each place I have maybe one pair of leaves, and that's it.

They were not planted late; but they sure were shrivelled. I did the soaking thing too. The otehr things planted at the same time did come up.

• jackied164 z6 MA
    16 years ago

Mine have not been a total bust but not like last year. These also came back but pretty weakly. How well do they perennialize?

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

I've planted them at least three times, they only came up once. I think they're either not that strong or just very picky about their growing conditions...

We'll see if they come up again next year. I hope they do, they're adorable lil things.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It is easy to accidentally plant them upside down, and that means no plants.

• Gertie_in_CO
    10 years ago

I planted about 10 bulbs last year, and a few the year before. I thought I had one re-planted, a very old one, but I think it was just a stick. It wasn't a bulb, it was more like a long root-like thing. Anyway, I had one last year, that I almost missed, and this year - so far, nothing. But, we've had a very cold spring, and it's been raining a lot lately. A lot of early plants just took a terrible beating both here on the Western Slope and on the front range, maybe it was too cold? Anyway, I keep looking optimistically that they'll show up late.
    If they were planted upside down, will they ever grow or will I have to try to find them in the dirt to re-plant them?

• ontnative
    10 years ago

Anemone blanda grows and blooms very well for me in southern Ontario, UDSA 4. In fact it is spreading by seed from my front garden into my back one. Seems to be very drought tolerant, at least doesn't mind dry summers. I would try it again, either the white or blue ones. Plant them as soon as possible in the fall. Around here even the grocery and big box stores carry little bags of bulbs in the fall. Sometimes things ordered by mail are just duds.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner