Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils Blasting

Posted by wvbetsy z6WV (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 20:29

I have a serious problem with daffodils blasting. Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils Blasting

Weather (warm temps and blazing sun) will sometimes do that, and some daffs are just worse at blasting than others. One thing you might consider, if possible, is moving them where they will get some shade or partial shade part of the day. I have a lot of mine in a deciduous wooded area, so that helps a bit that they are not entirely in 'full' sun.

Might you have the names of some that are blasting or is a mix of no name ones? Is this their first season? Have they blasted on you before? Might you be able to relocate the blasters?

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

I thought moving them to a shadier location might help. The ones that blast are mostly late daffodils. Red hill, acropolis, obdam, and others I don't know the names of. This is not the first year this has happened, but probably the worst year. We've had some wide fluctuations in temperature which I realize is the cause.

o

daffodils blasting? what does this mean? Never heard of that terminology.

o

daffodils blasting? what does this mean? Never heard of that terminology.

A good explanation of blasting causes

Here is a pic of a blasted bud

Some daffs will blast one year, but not the next. Some will in some cases be fairly consistent blasters for 'some' gardeners.

Sue

o

Other than keeping records about which daffs are susceptible to bud blast and getting rid of those, I don't think there is anything you can do. Of all the daffs that I've planted, only the doubles seem to get bud blast 90% of the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here