Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orienting Gladiolas corms

Posted by leftynh6 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:40

I just purchased a bag of Gladiolas corms, I wanted to get an early start for a few by potting them inside for transplant outside later. (Memorial day in NH) Many of the corms have started to sprout. Some of them were 'on their side' in storage, basel plate vertical rather than horizontal.
The sprout immediately turned up parallel to the basel plate.
My question is, do I plant the corm with the basel plate down and the sprout horizontal or with the sprout pointed up with the basel plate in a vertical plane?

Thanks for your help,
Lefty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orienting Gladiolas corms

• Posted by izhar Karachi Pakistan (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 1:21

I have done both ways, if you plant basal plate down the sprout will start growing in a vertical position after some time. If you plant basal plate vertical, the roots pull it into a better position if not completely horizontal, no effect on plant.

o

Izhar,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I plan to do two inside pottings. The first I will place the basel plate down. Three weeks later I will do one with the sprout vrtical.

Lefty

o

Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 8:17

You are welcome, I hope your Gladz perform like mine or even better:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

o

I have a habit of planting too deeply. What is the rule-of-thumb for Glads. How deep?

o

Thu, May 5, 11 at 1:31

I plant them 2 inches deep, they tend to pull themselves deeper because when I dig them out, they are 5-6 inches deep in ground..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here