Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this plant?

Posted by philly_gardener 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 20:41

Last month around the same time when my hyacinths sprouted, some tiny green sprouts came out in groups of 5 or 7. Now they have grown to be approx. 4 inch tall. They shape like the wire connecting a computer mouse to the computer, only green, straight, short, and vertical. Not sure whether I described in a way you would understand what I am trying to say.

I posted this message here because the location where these unknown plants grow is where I used to plant hyacinths, but not any more. And I only have tulip, daffodil, and hyacinth, poppy, peony, rose, and boxwood. And this kind of plant does not look like seedlings of those.

Does any one know what are these?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this plant?

Was one of the Daffodils maybe Hawera? It is commonly sold on line and elsewhere. The foliage on it is more round than what it is flat like regular daffodil foliage. I imagine there are other daffs too that have similar foliage too, but I don't know what they might be, and doubt if the are easily found at any of the more common places that sell daffs.

Where did you get your daffs? I assume they were new last fall.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawera at Tulip World

o

I can't visualize something based on the computer mouse reference...you may have to wait til it blooms...is there a bud forming? They could be baby hyacinths. Can you post a picture?

o

You might want to crush one of the leaves and see if it's got a smell to it..... might be a wild onion.

Seedlings or small bulbs don't always produce the same leaves as the older plants do. Smaller daffodil bulbs would produce leaves like the ones you describe.

o

might be a wild onion.
I doubt if it is wild onions, especially if all the foliage is of about the same diameter...but you are right...the crush or squeeze test would soon confirm if it was indeed wild onions or wild garlic.

Sue

o
Now they look like baby hyacinths

After a week, this mystery plants have grown taller. Now they look more like baby hyacinths with similar leaves and colors. Their leaves are still very slim, no buds. But there are almost 20 of them. I threw some rotten hyacinth bulbs there last spring. Does it mean somehow rotten bulbs could come back to life?

o

Does it mean somehow rotten bulbs could come back to life?
I would not think so. Could you maybe get a pic?

Were they rotted bulbs maybe with faded blooms and maybe even seed pods attached to them? I'm wondering if they might have reseeded. Possibly?

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here