Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paperwhites

Posted by mrsjoyceh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 20:53

I planted paperwhites in dirt in a pot. They bloomed and the green foliage ia all that is left. Will they bloom next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paperwhites

They'll probably go better in the ground as they like to nestle down so they can be 'first up'. (I've got one in flower now and winter hasn't even started - let alone spring!) Choose somewhere you can leave them undisturbed as they tend to hold their leaves for much longer than the trumpet daffodils - often right into your June-July or my December-January.

Open to good sun, with a deep soil that doesn't parch out but not greatly well-fed apart from leaf mould.

o

Just to add to what vetivert said, it depends where you live, as to whether they will come again next year. You don't say where you are located but if it is an area with cold winters paperwhites will not survive. They don't even come back in the UK except in a few very mild coastal microclimates.

o

What I've found is that they are fine for a year in a pot - and produce great leaves each year after - but no flowers.

Thanks, flora. I was probably counting too much on global warming!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here