Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stubby Leucojum problem

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 21:08

Last fall I planted a number of Leucojum aestivum 'Gravetye Giant' bulbs. Now they are coming up but both the leaves and blossom stem are only a few inches tall. What do you think is causing this problem? The bulbs came from a company in California although I suppose they could have actually been grown anywhere in the world. Perhaps these bulbs are programmed on a different seasonal cycle? I imagine that over the next year they will settle into their new climate cycle for my region.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stubby Leucojum problem

Hi Steve,

IMHO, planting time, depth, and temperatures all play a part in how a bulb performs, particularly if it is the bulb's first bloom season.

I have a lot of daffodils I planted quite shallowly, and quite late last fall. This spring they are blooming but several of the stems are maybe 5" instead of 12-16" as they should be 'normally'. I think that next year, your Leucojum aestivum will most likely be more their 'normal' height...so not to worry.

I intend to get more soil, and mulch on my shallowly planted daffs to assure them being taller next year.

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

Sue, I have found that no matter how deep I plant daffodils in a few years they find their own depth, usually deeper than I planted them. The depth I think is related to the soil moisture and they know what they like. Regardless of depth the height of the blooming plant does not vary. The same is true for my Leucojums. Al

o

Hmmm...I did plant these Leucojum rather shallow, I'm not sure why. Perhaps I should lower them after they go dormant.

- Steve

o

I did plant these Leucojum rather shallow,
That may not be necessary, since in time, as Al says, they will likely find their own 'best' depth.

I'm adding soil to my new short stemmed daffs though because they are so shallow that in many cases about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bulb is exposed. Last fall I had a lot of bulbs and was running really late and just ran out of time to get them covered right before the soil froze and I couldn't get it done. I'm just glad they lived and even bloomed. I did lose a couple though...sigh

Sue

o

I just wanted to report that most of my Leucojums are now in full bloom and have reached a better height. It appeared that the leaves and the blooming stalks grew at exactly the same rate, possibly because they weren't well established. Or perhaps this is the normal habit of Leucojum? It's my first year growing them so I don't know what normal is yet. I was expecting leaves first and then the blooming stalk, the way most of the other common spring bulbs behave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here