Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie with a Question about mold...

Posted by calamity_j z7bc (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 21:11

Hi All! I was at my local Flea Market and got carried away with buying some gladiola bulbs(3pkgs/$5), only to get them home and see that 2 pkgs worth are moldy at the root area, is there some way I can ...say dip in bleach? or something? so I can save them? Do they need to be tossed? It seems such a shame! Well now I've lived and learned...if it seems to good to be true....But I really would like to save them if I could. Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie with a Question about mold...

A bleach solution would probably be effective. I usually put moldy bulbs in a bag with sulfer and roll them around so all is coated. Mold grows due to the bulbs being stored damp in an area without good air circulation. If the bulbs are still firm they should be OK. Al

o

Thank You Al! I realized that I should of looked that up on the search engine...I've planted half and will plant the other half today...hopefully they'll work. I have only dealt with actual grown plantsbefore...never seeds ot bulbs...so this is new to me! I only do flowers so far and shrubs, haven't tried annuals or veggies yet...but I'll get there! It's just all the weeding!!!lol! A houseplant you water once a week...no weeding, but after weeding my whole yard(1/2acre) I gotta start all over again!!! I used to have over 200 house plants but gave em all away to have more time with my new passion....outdoor plants!!! I get Spring Fever sooo BAD!!! I know I sound very enthusiastic but my yard isn't living up to the enthusiasm....I go crazy at it for 3 mos and then abruptly stop gardening!!! I gotta be one of you "Long Distance" Gardeners!!!lol! Oh ya, I dug the moldy bulbs out of the composter and washed them with a solution of bleach and a little brush...now to plant them!

o

Yep, what Al said. I've planted lots of moldy bulbs, and as long as the flesh underneath the mold is firm, they do fine. I don't even bother washing them in bleach solution, most of the time.

Mulch, mulch, mulch! That will cut down on your weeding and prevent the mid-summer burnout.

o

Thanks...I've been discovering that mulch is my new best friend!!!lol!

o

The hidden benefit of mulch is the restored microbial life in the upper level of the soil. Worms will soon appear from no where to feast on the fungus and bacteria and your soil structure and ability to retain both air and water will be noticeably improved. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here