Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else's hyacinths not blooming yet?

Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 21:14

I planted 24 blue hyacinths last fall from Colorblends. Planted them about 4 to 5 inches deep. I first planted Baby Boomers about 8 to 10 inches deep then some soil then the hyacinths. The daffs are coming up, but only one hyacinth shoot showing. What might be wrong? I've grown hyacinths before and never had a problem. They are in full sun all day, too. All my neighbors hyacinths are already up and blooming. Frustrating!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else's hyacinths not blooming yet?

I plant hyacinths every fall, I love them. The ones planted the fall before take much longer to come up than the ones that are established.

I have several newly planted hyacinths that are just starting to push buds up now, and I'm a zone ahead of you. Meanwhile, my established ones have been up and blooming for at least 3 weeks. Give them some time and let us know how it goes.

o

Thanks Ladychroe! I was gettin' worried lol. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe a couple of weeks.

o

Mine are just showing buds. The ones not in full sun are much further behind. THis is for ones planted last fall. Ones planted before 08 are further up and starting to open.

o

I don't know why but my hyacinths bulbs always rise even if I plant them deep. I don't know if that's normal or what. But you can even see the top of the bulb at the base of the stem on mine. Mine have bloomed but are budding and I bet in a week or so will have some color. I seem them in full bloom all over town though.

o

I have some new (planted last Fall) hyacinths and they are up and have just yesterday started to bloom. They are just beautiful. They are new to our garden and I am sure I will keep adding those beautiful bulbs!

They were some of my first bulbs up - even before my tulips and daffs. I live in a cold climate as well. I don't know why my bulbs came up before yours or are starting to blossom. It must have more to do with individual planting places than exact zone???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here