Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
agapanthus - potted ... previously vigorous now struggling

Posted by magnolia429429 ma. zone 5-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 21:14

I have 2 large pots of peter pans, about 7 years old, bloomed prolifically until last summer. now 1 looks good with many buds and lots of healthy roots at edges of pot. The other has leaves which have become half size, no visible roots, and 1 very weak bud! Both pots were equally crowded,ie pot -bound, Could I have over done it? over watered it [leaves are pretty green]? I don't see any signs of fungus, disease etc. the difference this season between the 2 pots is dramatic! any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: agapanthus - potted ... previously vigorous now struggling

Seven years in a crowded pot? I would knock out the plant and see what the roots look like. Small leaves are usually an indication that the plant is not getting enough nitrogen. This may be caused by the pot being so root bound the water and nutrients drain right out the bottom of the container. The drainage hole may be almost completely plugged and the roots may be in standing water, which could give the same symptoms. In either case I would re-pot with new soil. Save the newer roots and discard the older parts in the center. You don't have to use larger pots since your root mass will be smaller. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here