Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocus from seeds ??

Posted by malamute5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 21:15

Last year I gathered some seeds from my crocuses. I didn't even know that they had them. I didn't plant them, but would like to now. Wanted to know if anyone has ever planted crocus seeds and how deep they should be planted. Is this the correct time of year to plant them? Thanks in advance for any expertise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocus from seeds ??

Are they spring-flowering or autumn?

I'd plant them in a shallow pot (about three inches deep)with excellent drainage. I'd use a gritty mix and I'd probably plant them on the surface then cover with fine grit about an eighth of an inch diameter.

The sooner planted the better - otherwise you may need to keep the pot under observation for a year or more (with no obvious action to cheer you up).

Plant thinly - and, if you have enough seed, plant in more than one pot.

If you know the sort of crocus you have you'll know whether it's an alpine sort (keep outdoors and avoid drought); or a drought resistant sort; or one that needs to be outdoors over winter to be frosted so the seed coat splits for spring.

Once they come up - leave them in the same pot for one to three years to grow on. (If they're showing plenty of leaf delicately scrape away the soil to check on bulb size. Just remember that bulbs in action look more like carrots than they do respectable dormant bulbs.)

Hope you get something yummy from your seeds.

o
RE: Crocus from seeds ??

I think my crocus are seeding around my yard. I noticed about 3 dozen single strands of crocus foliage with now blooms near my established clumps. Plus some have come up in the center of other plants, that I know I haven't planted there. That is in a bed across the driveway from my largest patch of crocus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here