Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can one grow Hyacinths from seed?

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 21:32

My hyacinths have finished flowering and there appear to be a lot of seed pods drying on the withering stems. Are the seeds in these pods viable, and if I wanted to plant them how long should I wait to harvest the seeds, and should I let the seeds dry out for a period of time or immediately plant them if I want to try to grow more plants. As for the bulbs in the ground, when should I dig them up, and when should I replant them? I live in southern California where it is rare to get a hard freeze. These hyacinths have been growing outside for several years now and have never been thinned out and the clumps of flowers keep getting bigger each year. They are growing in an area with mostly shade. If I replant them should I put them in a sunnier area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can one grow Hyacinths from seed?

I imagine that saving seeds and growing hyacinths from seed would be very much like growing daffodil seeds.

Taken from the link below
When Do I Harvest the Seed?

The easiest time is to wait until the pod just starts to shrink or shrivel up a little after it has turned brown. Some of them will even start to open up from the end - this definitely means they are ripe.

This usually means the seed is mature. Remove the seed from the pod to plant.

What Do I Do Then?

I usually keep the seed cool and dry for a month or so and then sow the seed in a baggie half-filled with damp vermiculite. I put this in the frig crisper so it stays cool and damp for 90 days.

I then simply put the seed into a pot filled with good, weed-free artificial soil (like Promix), barely cover the seed, water with luke warm water, and let it germinate at room temperature.

Sometimes you dont even have to use the pre-cooling but can simply sow them in pots in the spring. You wont get as high a germination this way but it does work for some of the seeds.

The seed will look like bits of grass.

Here is an interesting tidbit I found on line.....hyacinth leaf cuttings. I had never heard of that before.

hth.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodil Seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here