Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tete a tete coming up stunted

Posted by mukson pa 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 21:38

I have planted a bed of tete a tete daffodils and most are doing well. However those nearest a footpath are coming up OK but then ceasing to grow and discoloring after a few inches of growth. I guess the soil next to the path lacks nutrients. my question is, can i move these bulbs back or, having had a bad season, are they too far gone and i should just throw them away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tete a tete coming up stunted

Was the path salted in the winter?

I would just move them somewhere else but then I can't stand throwing away plants.

o

I have also noticed this happening this year, not only with Narcissus 'Tete-a-Tete' but also with other bulbs like hyacinths and colchicums.

I think it is due to extreme weather conditions which have caused the bulbs to develop rot. We had wild temperature variations during the winter with heavy rains followed by weeks below freezing with no snow cover. The ground was frozen solid here.

To top it off, when things finally started to warm up a bit, we had several weeks with no rain. In spite of being previously waterlogged and frozen, the ground became bone dry in certain areas, which is never good for developing bulbs.

When the rains finally came, some of these poor stressed out bulbs just started to rot, sending up weak growth just above ground that looks deformed and starts to turn brown and die.

I noticed the areas that were most parched during our "drought of March" are the ones with the greatest amount of affected bulbs.

o

Tete a tete is a very tough little bulb. I planted a few on a hillside that was terrible thick heavy clay several years ago. The poor things came up every year but never bloomed, multiplying steadily in spite of it all. A couple years ago, I dug them up, divided them, and moved them to a good bed, and in two years, they were spectacular.

o

Any chance of pictures?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here