Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat mat to start caladiums: leave on 24 hours a day?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 21:44

The heat mat I ordered just came. It is a seed starting heat mat, but that is the only kind I could find for this purpose. I have it set up on top of a thick sheet of corrugated cardboard, on top of a thickly folded bath towel, to avoid having heat sucked away by the table it's on. The flat with the caladiums is on top of the mat, then the clear plastic cover that came with the flat; which is also covered with a few layers of towel to keep it warmer.

But...do I leave it on round the clock, or use a timer to give it a certain amount of time off (like have it turn off during the warmest part of the day) ?

The bulbs are planted in a peat / potting soil mix, in shallow flats, set inside the larger standard sized flat. I trickled a small amount of water in, but was afraid to make the soil too wet, since the water will be trapped until I raise the lid.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat mat to start caladiums: leave on 24 hours a day?

I would leave the mat on 24/7, but to know what your temps are before starting, I would check the mix temperature after 24 hours. The temperature of the room air will have some effect on the mix temperature too so I assume that temperature is fairly constant. Even though you think the plastic cover is air tight, I think you will find with the heat the water will evaporate faster than you expect. Al

o

I've looked at it twice now, but have not checked the temperature. I will have to see what thermometer I have that can fit inside the flat. It feels very cozy! Like my bathroom after a shower.

There is much condensation on the plastic lid, but I'd expect that anyway even without the heat. I guess I'm seeing at as a potential rot situation with that lid on there.

o

Plants thrive by being given a specific time of growing, then they should be given a 'rest'.
Forcing a plant to grow 24/7 would be like putting yourself on a steady diet of food and sunlight.
You wouldn't like it, neither does a plant. It must have a rest.
Usually the seed or seedling is given up to 16 hours of growth phase, then 8 hours of rest.
Time your growth phase with a timer.
Water only as the plant requires to keep it damp...no more.

o

My incubator I use for my tropical plants will hold 8 one gallon nursery pots. Right now I am starting my Tuberose bulbs 8 at a time. By starting them at 85 degrees for a week they will grow to about 4 inches, then I take them out and keep them in the coldframe, while starting another 8 gallons. This gets them off to such a great start they will all bloom before the weather cools in the fall. Of course I prefer they grow than rest. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here