Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery bulb

Posted by debrichard z5 Mich (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 21:53

HI, I found a pot with dirt in it in my garage and thought it was something left over from annuals or something from last summer, so today I'm dumping the dirt out of it and found a bulb in it! I cannot remember what I was growing in the pot last yr. The bulb looks like a med. to lg. onion, with thick, long, roots that were very rubbery so therefore pretty healthy looking, white, looked like octopus arms! The bulb looked healthy so I replanted and I guess I'll see what happens! Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Maybe it will jog my memory and I'll realize what it is!
thanks, deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery bulb

Might it be an old dahlia 'tuber' that has grown new long smaller tubers (like octopus arms)

A picture of the bulb or bulb like thing might help with identification.

If you need help posting a pic, just holler.

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

Sounds more like a hyacinth to me. Looks like a medium onion with rubbery white roots fits a hyacinth. Or possibly a daffodil but less likely to be planted singly in a pot. Did you have a potted hyacinth last year?

o

No, it is definitely not a daffodil or dahlia. I don't normally have potted annual bulbs in pots. I'm thinking something tropical?, i don't know.
I could take a pic. and post, just tell me how!
thanks!

o

Could it be Peruvian Daffodil, ismene festalis? I bought one bulb last yr. on clearance, it never did much just put out a few leaves. But it was not that big of a bulb then, this is 3" across! And the roots are long and thick, hmmmm just an idea!

o

cool. I bet it will flower this summer!

o

Ismene. Hippeastrum. Galtonia. Haemanthus. Scadoxus. (But, if you bought one on spec last year - Ismene/Hymenocallis sounds pretty likely.)

o

Did you have a boxed Amaryllis last year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here