Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After the daffadills bloom

Posted by pippi21 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 22:01

The daffadils have finished blooming and there's always a debate whether one should leave the leaves to dry naturally which will take 6 to 8 weeks. Some people cut theirs down or tie the leaves up or band with a rubberband. What do you do with yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After the daffadills bloom

For me, I always leave the leaves naturally to die off with out banding or tieing up, I really think this makes a differece, I don't think the leaves look bad, and I have so many other flowers that by the time the daffodils are done me attiention is turned to over flowers. Another thing I do is, I always cut off the Daffodil flower stalk as they fade.

o

That was going to be my next question!

o

I do the same as hostalover and they do great!

o

I was given a whole bunch of daffodils a friend pulled up a week ago. What do I need to do?

o

I do the same, always removing faded flower stalks. That way all the energy goes into making a fat healthy bulb and flower bud for the next year. You don't have to wait for the leaves to wither and dry completely though. Once they begin to yellow they are useless to the plant so you can "tidy up" then if you want to.

o

I do the same as hostalover. No tying, no cutting except the flower stalks. I have so may other things in bloom, they draw attention away from the daffodils.

awantabe, just plant them at least 6 " deep and allow the leaves to dry naturally.

o

I also remove the flower stalks and leave the leaves alone.

o

awantabe, I would go ahead and plant the bulbs. You may or may not get blooms next year, but if they if they put up green next year, you'll know you succeeded. Plant them in good soil with a bit of mild organic fertilizer in the hole for good measure (cottonseed meal or the like). Water them in and then leave them alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here