Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayeshamasood

Bulbs in Pakistan

ayeshamasood
15 years ago

I live in California and I am really fascinated by the different variety of plants here. I wanted to take some Bulbs back to my home country Pakistan. but i don't know which bulbs would grow there. Can anyone help me? Average temperature in summer there is around 90's sometimes higher and humid mostly and in winter its around 40's. plenty of rainfall and really fertile rich soil.

i d be thankful if anyone can guide me.

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

When will you be making your trip, or do you know? Some things, like daffodils and so many other spring blooming bulbs are not available year around. They are only sold in the fall.

I'm sure others will have lots of ideas for some great summer blooming bulbs. Were you thinking of buying what you could find locally, or ordering from on line, or via a catalog.

I would definitely suggest some lily bulbs that are fragrant, but I'm not sure which ones those are.

Do you know what sort of paperwork you will need to have to get the bulbs into Pakistan? I'd hate to see your beauties confiscated at the airport if they would not allow them in the country without the necessary paperwork.

Sue...chemocurl

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

You might want to post this same question on the amaryllis forum. A frequent poster there lives in Pakistan and I'm sure he could give you some good advice. (He grows amazing amaryllis by the way)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I'm trying to sort of 'guess' what US Garden zone the area of Pakistan is that you describe.

Maybe some of the folks here from southern areas can relate to what zone that might be, then you could go from there.

Sue

• ayeshamasood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for all the tips. and those amaryllis are really gorgeous.All I have is a plain crimson variety:(

I do have some other bulbs and daffodils in my garden there. However they bloom entirely in winter. Leaves show in November, and flowers around January. They die out in spring before heat begins. They have naturalized very well. I just leave bulbs in ground and they return year after year.
    Based on this experience i was thinking of taking summer bulbs that are hardy in zone 10 or so and plant them in winter.That'd be ok?
    And any chance bulbs would rot in ground if i leave them over summer and don't dig them up?

• ken_mce
    14 years ago

Go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_Koppen_Map.png

and pick out the relevant part of Pakistan on the Köppen-Geiger climate map. Most of Pakistan is BW and BS climates. Now go over to the western US/Mexico and locate matching climate areas. Plants that grow in that climate in the US will have good chances of growing in a similar climate in Pakistan.

• gardensnail22
    14 years ago

I live in Louisiana where it is 90 to 95 in the summer and very humid. I would imagine bulbs that do well in the southern US would do well. Amarylis, gladiolas, summer snowflake, La iris, cannas, and if you research there are daffodils that do well here. I have had good luck with lycrosis, zepharanthus and crocosmia. Jane

• ken_mce
    14 years ago

Gardensnail, he's in what's almost a desert.

• gardensnail22
    14 years ago

Whoops!

• ayeshamasood
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:)No actually its not a desert at all. All lush green wheat and rice fields and mango grooves.
    Cannas do really well there. I already have some varieties. so do daffodils and amaryllis. but I have them already. I think I will try my luck with gladiolas and iris. May be ixia....

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

You could check out the South African bulbs but be aware that many of them have Rule the World tendencies in friendly climates. Many of them grow easily from seed which may be easier for you to import.

Ixia, Sparaxis, Tritonia, Watsonia, Freesia, Haemanthus, Babiana, Scadoxus, Clivia, Veiltheimia, Schizostylis, at the very least.

Sparaxis naturalises well in short, fine grass.

Tuberous begonias will be fine left in the ground and tolerate heat so long as they have light shade.

Some of the ground orchids, such as Pleione and Bletilla could be happy additions, too, and Rhodohypoxis which can make a bright and lasting display so long as they're not swamped by others' juicy leaves.