Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherer

Asiatic Lilies-How to plant so their height does not look freaky

cherer
15 years ago

I love the flowers, but at our old house, I planted them together in a large flat bed in the front of the house. Lilies were beautiful, but I was surprised that they grew so tall and had so little foliage. Looked almost freakish. I ended up planting daylilies around them to try to hide the long stems, but not sure if that was a good idea for the health of either bulb.

Anyway, we have have moved. I have a very long and steep bank in our new backyard that is basically a blank canvas. Bank is approximately 20 feet wide and 70 feet wide. Fence at the top of the hill, and a few groups of daylilies planted near the bottom right edge. I'd like to intergrate the asiatic/oriental lilies into the hill, but quite frankly I'm scared that they will look out of place again. Any ideas of how and what to plant in this area with the lilies. (Or pictures)?

Thanks

Comments (11)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

How tall do you consider freaky? I grow lots of lilies, but have taller things behind and shorter in front. So the lilies look just right, at least in my opinion. Could they have grown extra tall because they didnÂt get enough light and were reaching?

I do have daylilies planted in front of most of mine. No harm to either: the lilies like to be deeper and the daylilies shallower.

IÂm not sure what you mean by lack of leaves thoughÂmine all have leaves up and down the stem. Could something have eaten the leaves off yours? Rabbits sometimes chew up my stems as far as they can reach.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Any of the bulb lilies will not hold a steep bank. You would be better off with daylilies there or Siberian Iris. Then plant lilies between the clumps.

What your describing, a tall (some are taller than others) stalk with leaves along it with flowers near the top is what the plant looks like.

There are varieties of lilies that stay short, some tpes 2 feet or under. But they have the same plant type as the taller ones.

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

I know what you mean... lily stems look like fat green caterpillars to me, with flowers on their heads. I plant them between and behind shorter stuff since they have such a small footprint. Daylilies are fine, though I prefer to mix up the flower and leaf shapes a bit more.

• quilt_mommy
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh that is so funny! That is the only thing that I really am not nuts about in regards to asiatics. They are so cute and short and happy at the garden center...then you get them home and they grow three feet tall!!! LOL*

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Growers for potted plants use growth retardants on them to keep them cute and short. :)

I wish Asiatics had fragrance!

• alina_1
    14 years ago

I have Asiatics that are naturally 1' tall and 5' tall. And all sizes in between...
    Personally, I think that Lilies are great landscaping plants. If they are tall, plant them behind shorter and bushier plants. You can squeeze them almost anywhere. They create nice height and structure contrast in the garden.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I also have a wide range of asiatics, Tiny Todd & other pixie lilies are great short varieties. I count on my lilies to grow up between other plants.

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

I think that planting 3-5 of the same lily fairly close together, then interspersing other plants with different foliage looks best with lilies. Usually "lily beds" that have only lilies in them look pretty funny, because of their admittedly freakish foliage/stems. But how many flower can compete with the beauty of a lily bloom? With all the hundreds of varieties and hybrids, they can suit just about any need - and they are just so darn dependable!

They can usually manage to be planted fairly close to other plants, as long as there is still some breathing room so they don't get disease. Just don't forget where your bulbs are and spear them accidentally!

• casagrande
    9 years ago

ngraham....can you give me some other names for shorter asiatics besides tiny todd.....

• val1
    9 years ago

I believe any of the Tiny Series of Asiatics will stay on the shorter side. Below is a link to a nursery that has photos of a lot of the varieties, but I have found mine around town, Walmart even.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asiatic Lily Tiny Series & Others

• Yvette Machenbach
    3 years ago

Mine 6 foot tall and beautiful They want sunlight