burwoodbelle
12 years ago

I have this growing in my yard.

What is it? Grows from lots of small bulbs the size

of your finger.

Comments (7)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

I believe it's Ornithogalum --Star of Bethlehem. Very invasive.

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Ornithogalum umbellatum

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Yep, these grew in the fields when I was a kid. I didn't see it for years, then found some & brought to my house. Now I dig up & toss a bunch every year, but I do like them.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of my front yard. All the dark spots are clumps of Ornithogalum umbellatum -Star of Bethlehem.

{{gwi:10437}}

and

{{gwi:6562}}

I would suggest you dig it out and destroy it (as in putting in the trash) if at all possible. Each spring from mid Feb until sometime in May, I am digging it out, and making some more area that is clean/clear of them. Weather permitting I will probably be digging out several wheelbarrow loads of them today and discarding them in the field that is absolutely green with Star of Beth and wild onions.

Beware! They are evil and there is nothing available to the homeowner that will kill them.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

Star Of Bethlehem.... S.O.B. -coincidence? I don't think so.

There are plenty of pretty things to grow in its place that are less annoying. I don't know how it spreads, but I think trying to dig it up and get rid of it makes it multiply.
    Try it, I bet you couldn't get rid of your little clump if you tried! :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

I don't know how it spreads, but I think trying to dig it up and get rid of it makes it multiply.
    The main way it multiplies is by the bulbs growing offsets, or dividing and dividing, etc, thus the clumps of many small to even tiny bulbs.

It is also possible to be grown from seed if there are flowers that bloom and then are left to set seed. The above pics of all the clumps, seldom ever have a flower though as they get mowed before bloom time. Actually there are even very few blooms on the bulbs in the field as they too have divided and divided, and thus just send up foliage but no blooms.

Kato, I have been very successful in eradicating them in the areas where I have dug them out....existing flower beds, and the front yard woods, and the flower bed expansions. It is necessary to be sure and dig deep enough that the foliage doesn't just rip off of the bulb, and to take some additional soil with the clump to be assured of getting them all. I have become quite an expert at digging them out and clearing an area. I cleared an area of the side yard this spring, and even plan to try and get some grass growing where it is now Star of Beth free.

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Wow, you do have it bad! You've always talked about it, but I've never seen it like that. I'll be digging more out of my beds in a few days, before sets seeds.