Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth bean growth?

Posted by LMA84 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 0:11

I planted purple Hyacinths that were already in bloom (purchased as a potted plant) and planted them in my garden. The flowers have long withered and I had left them alone. Yesterday I noticed that one of them are growing bean looking buds on the stem where the flowers once were. Can someone tell me what these are? I am completely new to this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth bean growth?

Those green pods hold the seeds. You can cut off the flowering stems if you want as they supposedly sap the strength of the bulb.

Not to be confused with Lablab purpureus, aka Hyacinth Bean, a vine which produces true beans and is unrelated to Hyacinthus orientalis, your bulbs.

o
RE: Hyacinth bean growth?

flora said it best. To be even more plainly spoken, a Hyacinth bean, is a bean, and acts like a bean in every way. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here