Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie bulb help

Posted by jerem 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 0:15

Hi im new to gardening any especially bulbs and i bought some bulbs like Gladiolus/Dahlia/Lily/Liatris/Tigridia and most say plant out after last frost date and my last frost date is May 17th im wondering if its too early to plant the bulbs now? Or should i wait? I checked the 15 day forcast and the lowest i see is overnight of 2C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie bulb help

Go ahead and plant them now.

o

I agree to plant them now. Bulbs are pretty hardy.

o

I am not sure if you planted them yet but....

I stagger my glad bulbs. I plant some one week and then wait a week and plant a few more and then again in another week ect...

I do this so I have a longer bloom period.

I wait to plant my glads until the end of May though. My last frost date is the same as yours.

I woudl wait to plant your Dahlias, they may rot in cold wet 'Spring' soil if they are not started indoors first.

But the other posters are correct, most bulbs are pretty hardy, but a dahlia is a tuber and very frost sensative. You could cover them if the eather gets too chilly. It looks like we are clear of frost after this week.

I cant wait to plant all 600 + dahlias!... well my back is not looking forward to it : )

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here