Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when can I move my resurrection lilies?

Posted by tammisflowers zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 0:38

When we moved into our house in '04 I was very pleased to see that there is a 12 foot line of resurrection lilies growing in my yard. However, they are in a odd place because the previous owners had them along a garage that no longer exists. I would love to move these beauties, but have no idea when or how. Also, I have read that they need to be divided every 3 to 5 years and again, I have no idea how to divide them. Also, in the past, when the leaves start falling over, I mow over the leaves to mulch the flowers, is this a good idea?
Thanks in advance, Tammi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when can I move my resurrection lilies?

I would love to move these beauties, but have no idea when or how.
I have read it somewhere, but of course cannot find it now, that it is best to move them when they are dormant, which would be after the leaves have all pretty well died down naturally. The post below refers to Lycoris Radiata. It is a lot less hardy, and you most probably have the Lycoris Squamigera, which is a pink lily atop a bare stem in late summer.

Also, I have read that they need to be divided every 3 to 5 years and again,
I don't agree with that in that they will often sulk a season (year) or two before blooming after being moved or divided. It is imho just much better to give the bulbs plenty of space when you plant them, so they will not need disturbing for several years. Some of mine have been planted for maybe 10+ years, and are just now needing divided, as there are a lot more bulbs than there are blooms.

I dug some bulbs and gave them to a neighbor. She missed getting one planted, and a bloom emerged from the bulb anyway at the appropriate bloom time, just laying on a table in her carport.

If you leave all of the foliage in place to fade away naturally, and move them at the best time, you too may see blooms later this summer at their usual bloom time. Plant them with the base (bottom) of the bulb about 5" deep. Some of mine are probably not even that deep as the tops of some bulbs are at about ground level, yet do fine here in my zone.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: dig and divide lycoris radiata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here