Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing tulip & narcissus bulbs

Posted by argh 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 1:38

I'm in zone 10 and many of my tulip and narcissus plantings have now gone through yellowing of the leaves. If I plan to plant other things in the area, is it proper to dig them up now and store in my garage over the summer in the original perforated bag until it's time for the 6-8 week chilling before replanting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing tulip & narcissus bulbs

Since the foliage has yellowed, it is the proper time to dig them for storage. Not being sure just how hot your garage gets there in zone 10, it 'may' be a bit too hot for them.

Mesh bags, like onions or potatoes come in, would allow the bulbs to get more air (less chance of rot), or even placing then in a single layer (or thin anyway) in a cardboard 'flat' would be fine also. The perforated bag may be fine, but some are paper with holes in them, and other are plastic with holes in them. Neither would be as good, imho as the mesh bags or boxes I suggested.

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

Sue,
What about one of those lingerie bags you wash hosiery or delicate undergarments in that has holes? I don't buy an potatoes or onions in mesh bags. Can such bags be purchased in any catalogue?

o

Just to be clear, you do not HAVE to dig them and store them. You can just gently plant your annuals in between the bulbs and they'll all co-exist together.

And yes, lingerie bags will be fine. I dug a bunch last year and stored them over the summer for fall planting and I just spread them out in a single layer on newspapers in my basement. They did great. The key is to keep them dry (airy) and cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here