Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip problem

Posted by percystash (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 5:42

Hi,

I was given a single tulip bulb last year that I planted in a pot. Sure enough I got some beautiful green leaves growing but no flowers. Now the leaves are beginning to droop, yellow, and fade. Is there anything I can do to get a flower now or should I just try again next year? What did I do wrong?

Percy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip problem

Hi percystash,

Welcome to Garden Web and The Bulb Forum.

Without knowing your garden zone, and the variety of the tulip bulb, it's source, and how it was potted and chilled, or not chilled, it is really hard to say why it did not bloom.

Is there anything I can do to get a flower now
I'm sorry, but no, there is no way now.

or should I just try again next year?
Yes, I would try again next year, but with new bulbs. If the bulb you had been given was previously forced, it will likely not bloom the next year, or maybe for several years to come, as most tulips varieties are not perennial, and forcing tulips really takes a lot out of them...think of it as it totally exhausts them.

The link below describes how to force tulips to bloom in a container indoors. Maybe in reading through it you can discover what you might have done wrong.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: http://nga-gardenshop.stores.yahoo.net/forcingtulipsindoors.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here