Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Herbs with bulbs?

Posted by wannaflower 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 7:18

I am a complete novice when it comes to plants.

I currently have tulips, grape hyacinth, crocus & iris growing in a raised bed next to the deck. Is it possible to plant herbs or other plants in with them?

It's been a cold spring & tulips & hyscinth are just blooming.

Any advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
- If it sounds like common sense to you, I haven't gardened long enough for it to even register in my brain! ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Herbs with bulbs?

Sorry no one had input for you. I think it depends upon the herb. I have oregano that is so aggresive and mat forming I doubt a bulb tip could grow thru it. But annual herbs like parsley and basil would pose no problems. And upright rosemary doesn't form a mat. I plant my green onions from the store to keep them fresh.

o

All of my bulbs are mixed in with other plants throughout my yard. :)

o

Is it possible to plant herbs or other plants in with them?
I think it would really depend upon how thickly the bulbs are planted in the bed. If they are say 2" or so apart, I wouldn't suggest planting anything else in the bed, but would just mulch it and keep it weed free throughout the year.

If they are less dense, like planted in clumps throughout the bed, then planting 'some' other things would be fine. As irisgal said above, annual herbs should be fine, but I too would stay away from something as aggressive as oregano.

If there is space between the bulbs/clumps, have you thought about maybe planting some herbs in pretty/interesting containers and setting them in the bulb bed?

Sue

o

Thank you all for the great input! My "bulb bed" is still leafy so I think I'll wait a few weeks before doing anything.

I am going to try to either plant non-invasive annual herbs, or put them in bright pots set around the bulbs. What a neat idea! :-D
...Not to worry about the oregano, I don't care much for it anyway!

o

Iris gal, I'm curious, when you plant your green onions, do you plant them out doors, or in a pot in the house? How long do they keep this way?

This sounds like a good idea when they are on sale or from the farmers' market.

o

So long as you planted it away from the grape hyacinths... clumps of chives with their purple flower heads can make a useful herby addition. Trailing rosemary, if it's hardy enough, can be restrained by clipping and still overspill to soften the edge of the planter.
Tricolor sage is a possible, depending on the colours of your Crocus and tulips. Some of the thymes form small mats and would be company for the Crocuses - though not the Muscari, which may need thinning fairly soon. And purple basil can be gorgeous for the summer - as well as useful for repelling flies, and yummy for pesto.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here