Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly-dug daffodil bulbs--what to do now?

Posted by johnsaunt 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 7:52

I had to move a big bunch of miniature daffs to make room for more tomatoes. What should I do with the bulbs now? Should I replant them or store them in a cool basement until fall? Or something else. Please advise!

Thanks, Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly-dug daffodil bulbs--what to do now?

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, May 25, 09 at 14:33

Plant them, doing your best to preserve what green foliage remains.

o

You shouldn't have moved them when you did...they're out of the ground now and chances are the foliage has wilted...and will not send its sugars back down into the bulb.

Put them back ...somewhere...and hope the foliage will die back and do send energy back down into the bulb.
If you cant plant them in their permanent place, then put them into a container and let them finish what they should have been allowed to do.
Then, put them back when you can.

Daffodil bulbs do not need to be lifted--they stay in the ground year round and and need no protection whatsoever.

You will get your verdict on them next season whether what you did did them harm.

o

The foliage *had* already turned brown. That's why I'm so late putting in my tomatoes! I waited until the tops of the bulbs had died before I dug them up.

I was afraid that if I replanted them as soon as they'd turned dormant, they might get jolted out of hibernation. I remember reading that daffodil bulbs should be planted only in the fall, but perhaps that was not correct.

Now that you know the bulbs were dormant, do you still think I should plant them right away?

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, May 25, 09 at 21:37

Yes, plant them.

o

No, I would advise not planting them now, since they had the foliage ripen and wither before digging them. As you asked before, just store them in the cool basement until proper fall planting time, which is when the soil cools a good bit in your area.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here