Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New bulbs didnt bloom - save them?

Posted by mandolls 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 8:09

I am not experienced with spring blooming bulbs. The first time I planted them, about five years ago, I purchased close to $50 worth of what must have become food for the squirrels and chipmunks, because most of them never showed.

That put me off for a while, but last fall I tried it again. I planted daffodils, crocus, lavender mountain lilies and alpine rosy bells. I planted them with a little bulb booster fertilizer and a few moth balls to scare off the rodents. I also added a little bone meal when they started showing in April. Every single one of them came up! The daffodils and crocus were lovely, but the other two types didnt bloom at all. They are definitely not over crowded, The soil is great (my new asiatic lilies all more than doubled). But right now I have some fairly large patches, of what looks like spindly green onions in my bed. I am trying to decide whether to just pull them up, or leave them, hoping for blooming next year.

Any advice? Did I just get bulbs that were to young to bloom? I am getting a refund on them from the company, so tossing them wouldnt seem like I am throwing away the money. But if they might be bloomers next year, I will keep them.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New bulbs didnt bloom - save them?

So what didn't bloom? The lavender mountain lilies and alpine rosy bells? I'm not familar with these names. Could you clarify.

Generally bulbs that have been planted properly (soil, sun, etc) will bloom. It's possible if they are hardy types they will bloom next year. You may have gotten ones that were kept in storage too long.

Squirrels love to dig up crocus - search posts to find how to keep them.

o

Perfect example of why it's always a good idea to buy bulbs that you know will thrive in your area, and why, if there is no scientific name listed on the box, to be highly suspicious. On the other hand, they did come up and that's a hopeful sign. I would definitely give them a year or two more before I give up on them. They just might settle in and be glorious. Or, they may die, and save you the trouble of digging them up. :)

o

I can't think of what the name for the mountain lilies are, I think they resemble camassia. Rosy bells are probably a form of allium. Both may bloom yet, they don't bloom as early as daffs.

o

Thanks folks, I do actually see blooms forming now ! Almost a month later than the daffs. It seems odd that the mail order company immediately refunded my money instead of telling me that they would bloom later than the others. I looked up the latin names - Allium Oreophilum and Ixiolirion Tataricum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here