Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

New bulbs didnt bloom - save them?

mandolls
13 years ago

I am not experienced with spring blooming bulbs. The first time I planted them, about five years ago, I purchased close to $50 worth of what must have become food for the squirrels and chipmunks, because most of them never showed.

That put me off for a while, but last fall I tried it again. I planted daffodils, crocus, lavender mountain lilies and alpine rosy bells. I planted them with a little bulb booster fertilizer and a few moth balls to scare off the rodents. I also added a little bone meal when they started showing in April. Every single one of them came up! The daffodils and crocus were lovely, but the other two types didnt bloom at all. They are definitely not over crowded, The soil is great (my new asiatic lilies all more than doubled). But right now I have some fairly large patches, of what looks like spindly green onions in my bed. I am trying to decide whether to just pull them up, or leave them, hoping for blooming next year.

Any advice? Did I just get bulbs that were to young to bloom? I am getting a refund on them from the company, so tossing them wouldnt seem like I am throwing away the money. But if they might be bloomers next year, I will keep them.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH