Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip post bloom

Posted by katefisher Z7_NorthernCA (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 8:31

This last fall I planted many many tulip bulbs and was rewarded this spring with the best show of tulips we have ever had. I have to say it was wonderful. Not sure if the weather conditions were right or the bulbs were better but it was pretty exciting.

Now the foliage on several has died back entirely. On some it is still green. If I want to try and have flowers again next fall what is the best course of action for me? Dig them up or leave in the ground? In the past I've always just left them in the ground because I wasn't impressed enough with the previous bulbs performance to put forth any effort.

Thank you.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip post bloom

Please note my response to rocketjeremy6. In your location (the same as mine), you should start chilling in a refrigerator about the first of September, after having spent the last few months in a cool dark place. I have a separate refrigerator to prevent bloom damage from gases emitted from fresh fruit in the household refrigerator. I plant mine the first week of December under my roses and they come up in about 6 weeks. They finish blooming about the time the roses leaf out, which makes a good combination. Al

o

Hey Al.

Thanks for your post. For a second there I was beginning to wonder if my question didn't actually belong on the bulb forum.

I appreciate your feedback. However our weather is a bit more wintery than yours from what you say. By December our ground is frozen solid and you cannot start working again in the garden until at least April usually. That's when the tulips start to break ground. Or not if the weather was long and snowy. So I need to research further I think. I'm trying to work out if I should be digging them up now and just keeping them dry and cool all summer and then replant in October. Last year I bought the bulbs in October and planted them around Halloween some time.

Kate

o

Kate you must live in a elevation of over 5 thousand feet and tulips would probably do OK if not dug at all. Your temperatures sound like what tulips like. You would plant them deeper and they would be a little later blooming than here. They should be fine in the ground all summer. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here