Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip Transplant

Posted by indygarden Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 9:01

My husband and I are completely relandscaping our yard. We have tulips that the previous owner planted in a very odd place. We want to transplant the bulbs to another part of the yard. I know that you are supposed to plant these in the fall, but wondered if transplanting them now would be OK. We are laying fresh mulch in the next few days and want to get all of our planting done before then.
Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip Transplant

The mind boggles! (About the unusual planting site.)

Be prepared to dig quite deeply as tulips often start forming the new bulb deeper down on the present root system. (They're more like Oxalis and Freesias in that they put down a 'dropper root' plus a fringe of feeder roots rather than the spread of roots you see with a daffodil. Odd things go on under the soil!)

If you can dig up the clump with minimal disturbance, and can leave the tulips to finish off their growing season naturally, then they'll probably come back again.

Just be sure that the place you move them to has good drainage and give them the usual '$50 hole for a $5 plant' treatment. (Big enough widthways and depthways to take the big scoop of earth plus tulips you'll be bringing across to plant.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here