Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting bulbs

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 9:28

Is it alright to move bulbs now, after they have bloomed. I know of a few right now that are in the wrong place.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting bulbs

me too, only I am in zone 7, south of Richmond. I want to transplant hyacinths and crocuses from the porch bed to the front driveway. They have been by the porch for two seasons and come back nicely. Thanks

o

Give them a minimum of six weeks, though 8 is better, after they bloom so the foliage will ripen. This process is important, as the bulb is forming next year's bloom inside the bulb during this time. When the foliage begins to turn brown, you can dig up the bulbs and transplant them. Here in 7B, I have excellent luck with moving the bulbs directly to their new home. Others will tell you to cure the bulbs. This difference could be because of a different climate, or it could be because I grow old fashioned, less finicky bulbs. In the past, I have lost more bulbs to rot by trying to cure them than I have by just planting them in the ground. The choice is yours.

o

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here