Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring/early summer bloomers

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 9:57

I have a small space in the front bed that I want to plant some bulbs to bloom late spring into early summer. Cannot be aggressive in spreading and must be atleast 1.5 feet tall. Already plan on tulips in this bed, would Iris go well with this? Do they spread a lot? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring/early summer bloomers

Iris multiply, but it's pretty slow, and they won't really climb out of the bed. But if you're thinking tall bearded iris, hopefully the bed is against a wall; the wind tends to knock them over unless they have some sort of support or shelter. If it's not against a wall, get a smaller type of iris. Another possibility is day lilies, they start blooming around the same time as iris (both are just starting now, mid-may, in zone 6).

o

Hmm, its not against a wall. Don't know if I have the space for daylilies

o

What about some ornamental alliums such as 'Purple Sensation'(blooming now) or 'Globemaster' (larger and later-blooming)? They don't take up much room and will give you the height you want. Another bulb that is blooming now for me in part shade is camassia.

o

I have loads of TB iris and none of them have ever fallen over and they most definitely are not against a wall or even near the house. i do believe that they are your best bet but they are not a plant that you can forget. they have to be manitained to keep putting on a good show. the dwarf varieties tend to bloom a bit earlier than the TB's but there's a wide range of colours. however if you're lookinf for something about a foot-and-a-half, eiter stay with standard dwarf bearded (SDB) of border bearded (BB).

also, peonies might be a viable option but hey can get taller as they age and can be up to 3ft across, but this would take a number of years and they require far less maintenance than irises, as they never really have to be divided to keep up flower power and have few pests (irises have borers and root rot)

o

Why don't you try some of the smaller daylilies such as Aztec Gold (16") or the reliable Stella D'Oro (12")?

o

What if I planted tulips with Papaver orientalis? The space is about 2 by 5 feet. I could trim down the papaver foliage after blooming correct? How big/wide do these get?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here