Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs under landscape fabric

Posted by sbarrett NC (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 10:30

Hi - I just rehabbed a long shady strip by our driveway, and put down landscape fabric and mulch. I have a bunch of hosta, lily of the valley, astilbe, and dicentra bulbs. If I plant them under the fabric, with slits to grow through, will they sprout/grow? Of should I start them in containers, then transplant once at the seedling stage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs under landscape fabric

You can do it either way. They should do fine.

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, May 25, 09 at 14:35

If you can reconsider the landscape fabric - I would. I garden for a living, and I can tell you from experience, that after a year or so, the landscape fabric will cause wayyyy more problems than it solves.

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 12:16

I want to second Carrie. Landscape fabric is okay for a low maintenance shrub planting with pre-emergents; it isn't really suitable for a perennial border.

Ryan

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 16:24

(Ryan! We meet again...)

o

The lily of the valley has thug tendencies and can probably outrun your landscaping fabric.

Each of the other plants you mention will sooner or eventually outgrow its slit.

If you dream of generous clumps of Hosta offset by those lovely ferny fronds of Dicentra - go for a reasonably thick cover of fine to medium nugget-size bark mulch over a generous helping of aged commercially made compost (to ensure no weed seeds).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here