Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
louisiana iris bulbs

Posted by gardensnail22 08 (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 10:32

I have some seed pods forming on my Louisiana iris. These are hybrids and they are in a ditch with some specise La iris and some blue flag iris . What do I do with the seed pod ??? I have tried before to start seed with no luck. What is the trick??La Iris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: louisiana iris bulbs

Sometimes the seed coats are kind of hard and woody. If you nick them with a file or hand pruners, it allows the seed to take up water faster and to germinate more rapidly. Also, LA iris are semi-aquatic, so seeds can never be allowed to dry out after planting; soaking them overnight before sowing won't hurt, either. Hope that helps!

o

Just wanted to chime in and say that that's a very pretty picture. Love the plummy color against the bluish leaves.

o

Thank you for the help. Jane

o

Harvest your seed pod when it begins to turn a bit yellow. In my area (New Orleans), I would immediately open the pod and plant the individuals seeds in a pot (of garden soil or a potting mixture). I would cover the seeds with 3/4 inches of the soil, and put them in a cool place and keep watered. They would begin to germinate when we begin to get cool nights (October or November). In your area, you might want to keep them protected until spring and then set them out. I don't really know when to expect germination in your area. The seeds will remain viable for a couple of years provided that they are not hollowed out by insects. It's important for this reason to keep them covered with soil. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zydeco Louisiana Iris Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here