Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant glads & anemones?

Posted by sterlingsilver (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 11:03

First of all, I *did* check the FAQs page and tried a search, but didn't find an answer there.

Is it too late to plant gladioli and anemones now in zone 6? I realize that the end of May is not ideal, but I found bulbs on sale just before I left town for a couple of weeks and haven't been able to get them in the ground yet.

Should I go ahead and plant them? The ones I planted earlier this year are already about a foot high. Or, should I just wait and try planting them next spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant glads & anemones?

If you have them, get them in the ground. I prefer to plant glads a few weeks apart, extending the bloom period. I don't know about anemones, they probably won't like the heat, but I think they would stay dormant til fall. The anemones I have bloom in spring & again when it gets cool in the fall. I believe they dry out easily & wouldn't last til fall or spring to plant.

o
RE: Too late to plant glads & anemones?

Glads are usually planted 10 days/2 weeks apart for continuous bloom and cosnidering they take from 60 - 75 days from planting time to bloom time, glads in zone 5 can be planted as late as end of the June.
For zone 6, this puts the later date to about two weeks later I'd say.
So you have lots of time to get those bulbs into the ground.

Just be sure to lift them, and store them, before a heavy frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here