Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill daffodils?

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 11:07

I made the mistake of planting some daffs in my rose bed. There are perennials around the daffs (and through some of them) unfortunately. How can I get rid of the daffs without disturbing the perennials around them? I hate to do this but I've found I don't really like the look of the tall thin leaves sticking around until July, looking all brown and yuck. They didn't even bloom at all this year, so I'll either have to dig up in fall or get rid of them some other way. They are baby boomers btw.
I don't mind them in my other beds, but not this particular one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill daffodils?

Since they didn't bloom this year, why not just cut back the foliage to the ground now so it doesn't feed the bulbs... that won't disturb your other plants and the daff bulbs themselves will just gradually disappear from the lack of an energy source.

o

That's what I'm hoping for anyways. If I just keep cutting down the foilage maybe they'll go away lol. NOT that I don't like daffs, I love them, but just not in that bed!

o

i have never heard of an un-hardy perennial. if they other plants are established you should have no injuries to them by pulling up the daffs besides a few broken leaves maybe. roses are tough stuff and i hate to see plants die because someone doesn't like where they've decided to call home.

o

If you have a 'lady fork' you can probably dig down deeply enough under the root mass of the perennials to loosen the bulbs and pull them out gently with a firm hand on 'the greens'. Even the ones growing through should be accessible. Once out, just firm the soil around your perennials, or water to settle the soil.

It's better to this on a day when showers are forecast.

A potato harvesting fork is probably too wide although the tine depth might be useful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here