Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape hyacinths (muscari armeniacum) dying out

Posted by weezi z5b/6a Toronto ON (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 11:09

About 4 or 5 years ago, for 2 or 3 successive years, I planted lots of muscari bulbs. Most were in partial shade, but some got more sun than others.

For a couple of years, I had a wonderful show - there were lots of them and they looked terrific. But then, instead of multiplying, as I expected, they have slowly been dying out, and this year I have hardly any coming up.

They get a reasonable amount of water (soaker system) and are in a raised bed which was constructed using 4-way mix (topsoil, manure, sand, peat) and where I add compost at least once a year.

I don't think the squirrels can be getting them all, and anyway, I don't think squirrels like muscari.

Other small bulbs (scilla, crocus, chionodoxa) do fine in my garden, but they do get a little more sun.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape hyacinths (muscari armeniacum) dying out

Your irrigation system may be contributing to the problem. Muscari (and most other bulbs) prefer to be pretty dry during the summer. They could be rotting out.

o
RE: Grape hyacinths (muscari armeniacum) dying out

More cruelty required, IMO.
Lots of sun. No compost. No summer water except for rain. Thin out at least every couple of years and only replant the bigger bulbs.

If you ground-grow succulents such as Echeveria - similar conditions are needed for the Muscari otherwise they either wither away or overwhelm you with lots of lush leaves and very few flowers.

You could 'cheat'... put them in pots, bring them to flower, plunge where wanted for display - and then whisk away to sunbathe. If you have a sunny, easy to reach shed roof with a mild pitch you could park them there for summer - remembering to repot in July or August.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here