Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attack of the Gladiolus Cormlets!

Posted by steve1young 7a Long Island (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 11:31

I used to love Gladiolus. Now I'm not so sure. I had them growing in a few spots along a garden bed that runs infront of a picket fence, but I after a few years I decided to move them to a few spots along the garden bed on the other side/backside of the picket fence.

I'm now very happy with where the Gladiolus are placed. From the front, they look great when the flower stalks grow above the height of the fence and when they're not in bloom the fence hides the foliage so that other plants/flowers infront of the fence can really shine.

However, even now, years after moving them from their original spots I find little Gladiolus weeds/Cormlets sprouting up and it's a constant battle to keep them at bay. The only way to get rid of these little monsters is to dig down under them and pull them out, stem and cormlet both. If you don't pull out the cormlet, it'll just grow another even stronger stem.

I've tried taking out the soil from places where they were originally planted and replacing it with fresh soil, but those little cormlets seem to always find a way and they even seem to pop up in areas where I don't recall ever planting them originally.

Does anyone else find themselves battling with Gladiolus weeds/cormlets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attack of the Gladiolus Cormlets!

Well, no, because I consider them a bonus, not a weed.

But, if you are having problems, I imagine Roundup or a similar herbicide would put an end to it.

o

I have in the past faced the same problem. If you must use the space for something where the cormlets and their foliage will be a problem I dug and strained the soil through 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It caught about 90% of the cormlets. Al

o

Yes. I move things around endlessly, and glad cormlets are an evil weed in these conditions. I feel your pain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here