Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth losing buds

Posted by sandy_l 5 BC (sandyludwig@yahoo.com) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 11:33

Hi, I planted about 10 healthy Hyacinth bulbs of different color last fall and they all came up very strong. About 1/2 of them proceeded to bloom, the rest DID form buds in the centre of a bunch of straight up leaves but didn't proceed. The buds just sat there and I finally lifted them off, the stems were not attached, looked like they were either cut off or torn off way down amongst the tight leaves. Is it possible that the leaves grew to fast and tore the flowers off on the way up? Anybody any ideas of what happened?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth losing buds

Anybody any ideas of what happened?
I have grown hyacinths for many years, and never had such an experience. I am clueless what might have happened. There wasn't possibly a child that might have messed with them was there? I know they can be very curious about things.

Sue

o

Thanks for the reply Sue. No chance for kids or anybody playing around with them. The buds were 1 to 2 inches long with 1/2 to 1" stems attached to them, The stems all had a clean horizontal cut-like ending and were sitting tight amongst almost straight up leaves. There was no way anybody or anything could have gotten past the leaves to cut the stem, it was kind of tight to get your fingers in there to lift the buds.
Very weird, maybe somebody else will have some ideas.

o

I also thought about maybe cutworms, but have never heard of them bothering bloom stalks of spring bulbs, and chances are they could not have fit down in among the leaves for a cut as you describe.

Is it possible that the leaves grew to fast and tore the flowers off on the way up?
I've never heard of such a thing, but suppose maybe such a thing could happen, given just the right growing conditions.
Yes...hopefully someone else might have a clue. I'm sure it was very disappointing to have that happen to 1/2 of them.

Where did you purchase the bulbs? Big box store, or from an on line vendor. If from an on line vendor, I wonder if they might have an answer as to what may have happened. Possibly other customers have contacted them with the same problem.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Various cutworms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here