Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie to Elephant Ears

Posted by IRuehl 8 Savannah GA (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 11:35

I love them, mom grew them when I was a child, and while I lived in Hawaii, they were everywhere. I just bought my first place and am a newbie at gardening. I planted 2 bulbs in the ground in may, from homedepot. They have been coming up now, and have a few smaller leaves. I was wondering if they get huge in the first year, or will it take time like other perennials? I don't know the rule with bulbs! The one I potted started alot sooner, and thus is alot bigger, but its also in the store bought soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie to Elephant Ears

They do well in ordinary garden soil and should reach four to five feet the first year. In your zone(which I can only guess at)I would expect you will have enough frost to burn them down to the ground in winter, but they will come back as the spring weather arrives. Starting from bulbs as you did, can sometimes cause the bulb to rot, if planted before the soil has warmed. Once they have grown roots as yours have they do not have the same tendency to rot in the cold wet soil of winter. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here