Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips

Posted by rocketjeremy 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 11:56

I was given a bag full of tulips from a friend that were dug up I believe this spring after they were done flowering. The leaves are still a little green but the flowers and stems are obviously dead. What do I need to do to "harvest" the bulbs for next spring. Should I throw them back into a container so they can store energy or can I just store the bulbs somehow and plant them in the fall. Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips

I doubt that you could replant them now and have them grow on and energize the bulb for next year. Many tulips tend to split the bulb and you have two small bulbs joined together neither of which is large enough to bloom next year. I would look over the bulbs and discard the splits. Measure the rest and if less than 12cm circumference I would discard also as being too small to bloom next year. The rest I would save in a cool place with good air circulation until fall planting time. Be sure any bulbs saved are free of moisture or they mold. I hang mine in mesh bags in the basement. Al

o
RE: Tulips

Getting the bulbs to send their starches down into the bulb is your only thing to do, so get them back into the ground NOW....and if you cant put them into a permanent place, put them into containers and hope the foliage dies back naturally.
If the bulbs have been deprived of this necessity, you may be disappointed with what comes up next spring.
Chances are very poor growing of foliage and bloom will result.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here